Thursday, December 22, 2011

Peppermint Bark Cookie Tartlets

When I found this recipe, I was so excited for Christmas that I could barely wait to try it out.  In fact, if you remember, I tried them this way first.

The peanut butter cookies were so easy that I had absolutely no worries about this recipe.

Turns out, I was SO WRONG that I had to revamp what I was doing several times in order to make these work out properly.  I gave up half way, and then started back again once I realized I was being beaten by a cookie.
And an INSTANT cookie at that.  I didn't even make the dough.  I just bought the pre-made sugar cookie roll like it was going out of style.

Ridiculous.  In addition to four rolls of cookie dough (I couldn't find the tubs), I used two bags of white chocolate chips and 7 candy canes, crushed, but not pulverized.  I was trying to triple+ the recipe, so you probably won't go through as much, but this is where I stood.
One thing I changed was the cooking parameters.

First: no flour.  It made them crumbly and it didn't work well in the later steps.

Second: Bake at 350 for 11+ minutes, like the directions on the cookie tube states.  Lower did not work well for me.

Third: cook until the edges are lightly browned, then cool for about five minutes and remove from the muffin tins.  Some bottoms will stick and you'll need to squish them back on.
Warmth helps with this, but completely cooling them would make it difficult.  Also, I moved them to parchment as soon as I could lift them out.

THEN I finally added the chips and peppermint.  The chips were helping to weigh the bottoms down when I added them before, aiding the removal of the bottoms from the tops.  This way, the weight could wait!

Finally, I put them back in the oven for about a minute to congeal.

Lost yet?  It wasn't so bad, I promise.

Basically, roll pre-made dough (as it) into 1" balls and press into mini muffin cups.

Bake 11+ minutes at 350 until edges are golden.

Remove from oven and wait about 5 minutes.

Remove individual tarts, squishing the bottoms back on as necessary (about 2 in 10 will stick).

Add white chocolate and peppermint

Bake again for a minute to lightly melt the toppings.
Not bad, once you get the hang of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment