Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Potato Chip Cookies

A's favorite method to crush the chips 
I know I've mentioned the potato chip cookies before.  However, some people have asked me for the recipe, and I realized I never really wrote about them.

They're my favorite recipe from my grandma, and I will always remember stealing them from her re-purposed Danish Cookie tin every time she made them.  I'm sure she knew it was me, but it was nice of her to let me get away with it just the same!
 Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/2 cup more for coating (I have also used the Splenda blend)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup potato chips, crushed
1/4 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
For my assistant A's birthday, I found a great sifter on Amazon.
She fell in love almost immediately.

We're weird that way...

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375°F. 
2. Cream the butter and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed. 
3. Lower to medium speed and add the vanilla. Add the flour and cinnamon to the butter mixture. Beat on low speed until incorporated. Fold in the potato chips and pecans.
4. Form into approximately 1 1/2-inch balls. 
5. Dredge in the remaining sugar.
6. Place on parchment or foil-lined baking sheets,
1-2 inches apart.
7. Bake until golden brown around the edges, about 11 to 13 minutes. 
8. Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks 
These cookies have a great shelf life, and the also last well in the freezer.

As far as taste goes, they're fairly comparable to Sandies.

I always go for a kettle crisp chip or a sturdier chip, that way they're more likely to maintain their crispness throughout the baking process.

Definitely one of my favorite (non-chocolate) cookies, and people always do a double take when you call them potato chip cookies.  They really don't believe that they're in there.  They're more likely to call them a toffee cookie than admit there might be a potato chip cookie.

I guess we're all weird that way.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment