Saturday, June 2, 2012

Taste of Sweetness Saturday: Exploding Pound Cake {of Doom}!

I LOVE pound cake!  It reminds me of happy summers with my grandma and my mom, strawberry shortcake, and other first loves as well.

I found this recipe a few months ago (via Pinterest, of course), for a cream cheese pound cake and I had to try it.

I didn't even realize that people made pound cakes in bunt pans.  My mom didn't either.  But, that's what the original did, so I borrowed a pan and gave it a try.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Make sure you grease and flour your pan.  I used the baking spray with flour included, and that worked just fine.
Directions

1. Beat the butter and cream cheese until just creamy (don't over beat).
2. Gradually add in the sugar.
3. Add eggs one at a time.
4. Sift the flour and combine with the salt.  Then slowly add the powder mixture to your batter, blending well after each addition.
5. Add in the vanilla.


Smooth the batter into the prepared pan.  Bake at 300 for 1 hour and 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for 10+ minutes before removing from the pan.

Mine rose about three inches above the original batter line.

This didn't bother me, because more to enjoy, right?

Unfortunately, the part that rose cracked, so when I flipped it, it was a glaring mistake.
oops!
 Luckily, I was planning on slicing and serving, so no one really cared too much.

I honestly don't think anyone noticed it.

AND, it was such a wonderful flavor and texture that people were eating it quicker than they bothered to look at it, so it was a win-win all around.

So maybe I didn't mean to call this the Exploding Pound Cake {of Doom}.  It just sounds cooler that way, though, don't you think?!

No comments:

Post a Comment